Monday, May 7, 2012

Continue to Hope

I took my Bible today and read through one of my favorite Psalms, the 37th chapter. I have marked it more than any of the psalms and have memorized parts of it. It is a psalm of David and my Holman Bible titles it David persuades to be patience and confidence in God. In the margin of my Bible beside verses 3, 4, and 5 I wrote words to live by. These verses have been a staple in my life since my teens. Look them up and spend some time with them. Verses 7 and 8 are also marked. Newly marked is verse 11. Then 22-28 are all marked and in the middle of these verses stands bold and full of promise verse 23. My hope is entwined in this verse. I will print this one for you to read.

The steps of a good man are ordered (fixed, set up, established) by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Psalm 37:23 

I listened the other night as a minister explained this verse in a fresh new way for me. He said the steps of a good man are ordered of the Lord. The word ordered means fixed or established. In other words it is already set. The minister said we don’t have to make the road or the way we simply need the illumination of the Spirit to show the way. Much like one would travel a highway at night. They don’t have to build the road they just need the head lights on to see it. God has already fixed our directions we just need the light of the Spirit to show us the direction we need to go. God already has the path set and made. The rest of the verse shows us God must delight or have pleasure in the fact that He has some wonderful things coming our way. We simply need to get the light of the Spirit shining on what He has planned.
I have also marked verse 34 and 37. Take your Bible and breath in this wonderful psalm.

On this note I want to share something I was given almost 30 years ago that was a hand out from a bible class taught by Vesta Mangun. It called seven ways to continue my hope. I hope you glean as much from this as I have over the last thirty years. I have kelp them and studied them and even taught them. I don’t believe they are the only ways but simply seven things we can do to continue our hope. I have added my own thoughts in with them as well. I will share the first three this week and the last four next week.

Seven Ways to Continue my Hope

1.      God accepts us where we are and will help us there!

15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.
16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:15-16 NKJV

This will have to get in us or we will go under! My righteousness is as dirty rags but I can bring my hopeless life to God and He covers my life because of the blood of Jesus. I don’t have to accomplish some daring feat I simply go to Him, the Lord will touch me where I am and help me there. The Lord can be touched! Whatever the need, I belong to the Lord of the house and He will help me where I am at.

2.      Sometimes resting is better than reaching, trusting better than trying.

I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.
4 Blessed is that man that maketh the Lord his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies. Psalm 40:1-4 KJV

After we have done all we can do, after praying, after fasting, the next move is God’s move. We can’t do the impossible only He can. So we call on Him and rest in the fact that The Lord of the House is in control.  T.F. Tenny said, “We praise God for open doors, but we don’t praise Him for closed doors. A closed door can be as much the will of God as an opened one.”  I challenge you to wait and see what God will do.
The Shepherd will hear the voice of the sheep. So take a deep breath and watch God work, wait patiently. Don’t cast away your confidence.

3.      Whatever your trial is, God will use it for good, if we will let Him.

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28 KJV

A.D. Urshan said, “Thank God for anything that makes you pray.”
God will not leave us there to wallow in our valley; He will deliver us but in doing so the Lord will do a great thing with the ones whose hope is in Him. It’s God’s way of putting something in our hands to fight with! Cut the devil’s head off with your circumstance. Use your circumstances for the Glory of God; use them to come at the devil with a second wind. The song “All is Well With My Soul,” was written while Mr. Spaford hung over the rail of a ship weeping because his children had drowned. Thomas A. Dorsey wrote the hymn “Precious Lord, Take My Hand” while mourning the death of his young wife and son who died in the child’s birth. While sitting in the music room of a friend on a Sunday, he thought he was through with God, he said, “As my fingers began to manipulate over the keys, words began to fall in place like water drops falling from a crevice of rock.”  

Keep your hope in the Lord. Trust in the Lord at all times.
We will finish these next week.

No comments: